While we’re down a co-conspirator this week (see you next week, Ken!), Sujan Kapadia and Becca Refford step up to share some of this week’s DevNews.
- Supreme Court rules in Google’s favor against Oracle, “fair use” of a copyrighted API
- Github updates their authentication token format. Reset your personal access tokens!
- Django 3.2 released, a long-term support (LTS) release
- Build your own web browser in 1,000 lines of Python
- From a smart toilet that monitors your stool, to a furry companion robot, here’s the weirdest new tech from CES 2021
- On the note of bizarre gadgets, we can’t forget Charmin’s ‘RollBot’, unveiled at CES 2020, which brings you a fresh roll of TP with a request sent from your smartphone
- We love some Mars news. Ingenuity is alive, it’s alive! Survives the first night on Mars
- The iconic SpaceJam website from 1996 was redesigned for a reboot, but a link to the old site was thankfully built into the new version. Rolling Stone wrote an incredible thinkpiece about the site, likening its design to “a cave painting from the early internet”
- Hack your Spotify: an open source Spotify client built with Angular 11, ng-zorro, and TailwindCSS
- AWS billing news: CloudWatch Metric Streams to capture usage and billing data for later analysis, and AWS announces CloudFormation support for budget actions
- Yahoo Answers shutting down May 4, 2021
- What the heck is Clubhouse? iOS app, drop-in audio chat (voice-only, no video), still invite-only, reportedly already has a $1 billion valuation(!)
- Soon you’ll have to go through NJ to get to NYC, even in Minecraft!
- Our friends at Cesium are working on an accurate model of the Earth, for the Unreal gaming engine
This livestream took place on April 6, 2020 at noon. This is a recording. Subscribe to our YouTube channel and tune in every Tuesday at noon EST to hang out with the TechCast crew.