When you think of hiring for your team, does the paperwork overwhelm you? Are you concerned about the number of interviews you seem to need to make a great decision? Do you ever have trouble making a decision, to know if this candidate is right for you –the team, the project, and the organization? You know the cost of hiring people is high, and the cost of not getting the right person is even higher.
You can apply agile approaches to your hiring, iterating on everything. You can get feedback as you go, and involve the entire team, including the sourcing. You can teach your recruiters to use a kanban board to track candidates and where they are in the pipeline. You can iterate on the job description (and job ad) based on what you see in candidates. When you involve the entire team, you can create questions and auditions that work for you. You can identify candidates who fit your culture and those who don’t.
This session is a timeboxed interactive workshop. Be prepared to experiment and learn. Let’s make your hiring more agile.
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” provides frank advice for your tough problems. She has written these books:
- Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
- Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
- Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding the Value in Your Project Portfolio
- Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Cost or Schedule
- Manage Your Job Search
- Hiring Geeks That Fit
- Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More
- The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
- Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
- Hiring the Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets and Science of Hiring Technical People