This podcast episode is a recording of Michael Tiemann’s keynote presentation from the 2009 Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise Conference. Michael is RedHat’s VP of Open Source Affairs, and has a long history in working on open source projects. He is the president of the “Open Source Initiative,” and has served as the CTO of RedHat, and founded the first open source software company, Cygnus.
Michael’s talk focuses on “Exonovation”, or innovation from an open community, and how it can make a product even better than a closed, controlled, proprietary effort. It is a very interesting talk, and for those who want to follow along with the slides, you can go to http://www.chariotsolutions.com/slides/pdfs/ete2009-ExonovationTieman.pdf
Books discussed during the talk:
- The Only Sustainable Edge: Why Business Strategy Depends on Productive Friction and Dynamic Specialization: John Hagel III, John Seely Brown – This book questions the zero sum gain theory espoused by Harvard Business School.
- Democracy in America: Alexis de Tocqueville (the link is a free transcript download)
- Unlocking the Sky: Glenn Hammond Curtiss and the Race to Invent the Airplane by Seth Shulman. Referred to when discussing the Wright Brothers’ assumption that instability was a key feature of flight.
- As We May Think : Vannevar Bush, the Atlantic Monthly, 1945 – Vannevar imagined the Internet (or something eerily like it) in this paper.
- Outliers: The Story of Success – Malcolm Gladwell
- Michael Tiemann’s blog – http://opensource.org/blog/8
- Truth Happens – http://truthhappens.redhat.com/
- The Open Source Initiative – http://www.opensource.org
- SquareSpace.com – A hosted content management and blogging platform that makes publishing your web content easy. Sign up using the promotional code ‘techcast’ for a 10% discount on your monthly service.