If you attended our event, Java at 25, you might have your appetite whetted for more videos we’ve done with our friends in the Java and open source community. Let’s take a look back at some key Java talks we’ve produced:
Oracle’s Java Language Architect, Brian Goetz: ETE Talks and Podcast Episodes
- ETE 2019 Keynote : Functional Programming vs OOP: Choose Two – in this entertaining keynote Oracle Java Language Architect Brian Goetz shows how we can focus both on OOP and FP in our applications, and leverage both in Java.
- ETE 2019 : Java Futures, early 2019 edition Here’s a view into where Java was headed a year and a half ago…
- ETE 2016 : Lambdas – a peek under the hood – This talk features Brian discussing the internals of the Lambda implementation in Java 8. He discusses how Lambda could have been implemented if taking the more direct or obvious routes, and how the end solution leveraged Java 7’s invokeDynamic and other internals to avoid class bloat and potentially speed up additional invocations with caching.
- TechCast 112: Brian Goetz – We also had Brian on our . Hear Ken Rimple and Will Vuong interview him on a variety of topics.
- ETE 2016 : From concurrent to parallel – parallel stream performance in Java SE 8 – in this talk, Brian discusses Java 8’s streams and parallelism enhancements, and how only some code is parallel-friendly. A great dive into some techniques you can use to break up your data into the right structures.
- (YouTube)ETE 2016: Move Deliberately and Don’t Break Things – Brian’s second talk at ETE 2016 talked about Java’s key evolutionary philosophies.
Other Relevant Java Talks
We’ve also had other big names in the Java field (as well as our own consultants) on our podcasts and events talking about Java for many years. Here’s a small list of relatively recent highlights. You can search our blog, screencasts, and presentation PDF archives for more!
- ETE 2019: Burr Sutter – Supersonic Subatomic Java with Quarkus : Related to our container discussion, Quarkus is a “Kubernetes-native Java stack tailored for OpenJDK and GrallVM”.
- ETE 2019: Kubernetes: Your Next Java Application Server : Might as well have Burr’s Kubernetes talk on here as well for context!
- Chariot consultant Brandt Gigle’s presentation on Kotlin for the Philly JUG in 2018 shows off the language syntax and features.
- Philly ETE 2017: Monica Beckwith – Java Performance Engineer’s Survival Guide : Monica gave lots of tips on how to get your code to become more performant.
- ETE 2016 : Adriaan Moors – Scala 2.12 and Java 8: More Fun Together! : As we discussed in the webinar, Java 8 made Lambdas native to the JVM and so Scala adapted. This talk reviews what changes Scala made to accomodate and work with Java’s Lambda VM features.
- ETE 2015: Maurice Naftalin Parallel Ready Java Code: Managing Mutation in an Imperative Language : This is another talk that discusses how to write parallel friendly code in Java, focusing on streams, collections, mutability, and more.
- ETE 2015 : Maurice Naftalin : Let’s get to the Rapids: Java 8 Stream Performance. Early on Maurice decided to put Java 8 streams to the test and share his knowledge. Another meaty talk.
Our 2012 interview with Rod Johnson, father of the Spring Framework, and founder of Atomist, covered his thoughts on Scala as an alternate language on the JVM. broken into two parts (one) (two), it’s an interesting look into the way he approached developing Spring and then how he was advising the Scala team on their future directions.
And there is so much more. You can head over to our YouTube Channel where we’ve put our content in categories based on show, or subscribe to the Chariot TechCast on iTunes, the Amazon podcast store, Spotify or via our RSS feed on the page.