Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 30:11 — 41.5MB) | Embed
Our fourth interview in the Business of Tech podcast series is with Gilt Groupe's CTO and co-founder, Michael Bryzek. Michael talks with us about a number of topics, including:
- Early days of Gilt Groupe and adventures in database selection
- Scaling out with Micro Services on the JVM
- Traffic patterns, cyber Monday
- Team ownership of Micro Services
- Tech management hurdles – eliminate layers and make deploy to production easier
- Advancing the industry by sharing lessons learned
- Adoption of Scala and leveraging the JVM
- Open source software contributions on GitHub – highlight: database Schema Evolution Manager and challenges with database deployments
- Micro Services versus the challenge of "one big database"
- The database schema as software deployments
- Discussion on how Gilt is sharing open source – shed internal dependencies where possible and use open source tools
Gilt's technologists blog at tech.gilt.com and their projects exist on GitHub at github.com/gilt.
- Haydle, a private Q&A knowledge-base for your company. Find out how it works, and get a free trial at haydle.com
- Philadelphia Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise, 2014 – Keynotes by Joel Spolsky and Brian Goetz, and a range of speakers in languages, frameworks, infrastructure, agile, mobile and management. Register before February 14th and save $100.